Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award
To recognise significant contribution to the development, promotion and advocacy of play in Australia.
Congratulations to the following Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award recipients:
Winner of the Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award 2014 – Mary Jeavons
Winner of the Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award 2015 – the late Pattie Morgan
Winner of the Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award 2016 - Cathy Kiss
Winner of the Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award 2017 - Judy McKinty
Winner of the Joan Matheson Distinguished Service Award 2018 - Robyn Monro miller
Who was Joan Matheson?
We remember an exceptional woman who made a life-long contribution to the development of our organisation and play in Australia.
- Joan was born in 1917 and died in 2008;
- Joan undertook a National Fitness Course, before there were any Recreation courses operating. Well before Life Be In It;
- She was probably employed as a Play Leader before becoming the Director of PRAV;
- In 1944 she became the Director of PRAV – and in 1983 she moved onto the Committee of Management;
- She performed the role of the Secretariat of the IPA IN 1961 when it began;
- Minutes record that the first ever IPA meeting was held in Brisbane October 10, 1979;
- In 1980 and 1981 considerable national networking took place, and Joan attended a number of overseas conferences, including IPRA and IPA;
- She was a woman with a great sense of authority, determination, and would never take no for an answer. “As stubborn as an ox” (Sally Jeavons);
- She was inspiring, and a very great networker. A lover of dancing, and a committed yoga participant, and is remembered as having a very beautiful posture. Calm, blond/white hair, funny, interested in people, and their experiences.
The Play Warrior Award
To recognise courageous support for the provision of quality play in Australia – recognising those champions who have persevered in the face of challenges